Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reading the Koran

The Boston Globe describes what sounds like a fascinating project on the historical development of the Koran and its links to other major religious traditions.

I have two quibbles. First, I think the article overstates the idea that Christians no longer think of the Bible as the literal word of God. I suspect that, globally at least, a majority still do, and certainly a large minority do in the United States. This, of course, does not solve the problem of differing interpretations, as the large number of different denominations that hold to this view attests. Second, I think the article underestimates the potential for rapid change within Islam away from the view that the Koranic text is literally the word of God. Several Islamic countries are quite well educated, such as Iran. When the Iranian government finally changes, as I expect it will soon, it would seem ripe for theological change as well.

Hat tip: marginal revolution

No comments: