Saturday, September 10, 2011

What a tangled web we weave ...

... when we operate semi-pro athletic teams at universities.

Gentleman's C on the directions that fictional university LSU provides to its faculty season ticket holders:
I have received a missive from some LSU official informing me that, as a holder of LSU football season tickets, I am considered an athletic booster. One of the many things I am forbidden to do as an athletic booster is to provide to any enrolled student athlete any academic assistance, including tutoring, editing of papers, assistance in completing coursework, or the use of a computer.
Though the Angry Professor disagrees, I'll stand by my view in the comments that the university wants faculty to help its "student athletes" but wants to be sure that the legal liability for such actions falls on individual faculty members and not on the central administration of the athletic department.

No comments: